Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dr. Fizzy in the Media

In case you're looking for something to do today, a few places where my writing and cartoons can be found in the last week:

I wrote an article for my friend's blog, Kids Play the Darndest Things, about The Educational Checklist for kids' TV shows. Check it out!

Atrium Magazine has reprinted my How to be a Gunner cartoons and some others.

Kevin MD reprinted my cartoon about medical bloggers. Thanks, Kevin MD!

I also have a post up on Mothers in Medicine about my obscene cholesterol. No, I won't tell you what it is. You must read the post.

Also, I've got my own post planned for today that has PHOTOS! "Fizzy, don't you have a job anymore?" I think the answer is obviously no. (Just kidding, I'm still gainfully employed.)

3 comments:

  1. Re: Your cholesterol

    I won't post any spoilers, but I wanted to add two things. One is that Trig:HDL ratio better describes the atherogenicity of LDL. The two subtypes of LDL have different progenitors. The evil one is manufactured from the end results of "sugar, spice* and everything nice". The benign being made from snails, puppy dog tails, etc.

    For those folks that have triglycerides below 100, use the Iranian equation to calculate LDL. The Friedwald equation was inadvertently designed for those > 100. It overestimates. Sometimes wildly.

    *Spice in this case would mean booze. Because I said so. I am not a doctor, so take this as the typings of a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading up on cholesterol-level related research for a couple of years now. It's STILL not clear what the relationship is between cholesterol levels and women's health, long term. Almost all of the long term studies have been done on men. Those that have included women are almost always "data-mining" studies [ie. taking an existing study and trying to divine data from it, which is not a good way to find things to research but NOT conclusive evidence.]

    I believe all of the 'cure it with medication' studies have been done on men, to the point where Canada's national health service only prescribes the meds for women who have had repeated CV events and nothing else seems to work. And even then it's a crapshoot.

    There are lots of anecdotal and some data mining evidence that women who survive CV events, especially heart attacks, and do the best long term, have cholesterol levels that are considered deadly in men. However this needs a LOT more study, and I can't find evidence that it's actually being done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that there's any causal relationship whatsoever. Except maybe in those poor unfortunate souls who can't excrete cholesterol in their bile (or by making bile). Their TC is like 700.

    Check out "Food and Western Disease" by Lindeberg, if you want your mind blown. Ancel Keys should've stuck with metabolic ward studies. But alas, he wanted to be a rockstar.

    Dr. Fizzy- Excellent blog, by the way. I follow it avidly.

    ReplyDelete