Tuesday, August 30, 2011

CHOCOLATE

Today I came across this article about how the people who eat the most chocolate on a regular basis reduce their relative risk for heart disease by one-third.

Now I am really picky about my chocolate. I don't like dark chocolate. I don't like milk chocolate in bar form. I don't like chocolate chips. I don't like chocolate ice cream. I do like brownies and chocolate cake as long as it's not too rich or decadent.

But now clearly I need to increase my chocolate intake. I need to have a chocolate bar with every meal. And chocolate milk as my drink. Then a chocolate cake for dessert. Then I need to buy an Oompa Loompa.

But!

"...the studies reviewed in this report were observational -- that is, they looked at data based on what people ate. Clinical trials, where chocolate is pitted against a placebo, are needed to see if the effect of chocolate is real, Fonarow said."

I am honestly curious about how they're going to do a trial of chocolate vs. a placebo. And if so, I really, really wouldn't want to be one of the people eating the sham chocolate.

10 comments:

  1. White chocolate? Sounds like a sham to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like more quality research from the "cell phones cause cancer" people. Rush inconclusive poorly studied results to attract lay press attention, and use a common food as bait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking this is going to be like a chocolate milk vs. yoohoo study =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wht next cold chocolate vs hot chocolate study... get a life :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. shashi...I was just thinking that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son heard this on the radio and used it as evidence that he needs more chocolate in his diet. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. shashi: I think it all depends on how powerful the chocolate lobby is....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grumpy -- Some of the cell phones cause cancer papers are actually pretty well done, FWIW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this article and sent it to all my friends because I would like it o be true, but I do not understand how the study group was selected- maybe the only people who fess up to eating lots of chocolate are relatively healthy and normal weight...and maybe people who scarf down 12 bars a day are embarrassed and lie. Also maybe some people die early and are not in the statistics...no matter what they eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps chocolate vs. a different yummy food? Chocolate vs. bacon? Man, wouldn't that be a tough one to choose between?

    ReplyDelete