Monday, December 26, 2011

Tales from Med School: Anatomy Wanderer

When I was taking anatomy, there was this weird old gray-haired guy who used to wander around the lab every day. He wasn’t a professor or any sort of teaching fellow. He never spoke to us or anyone, but sometimes watched us as we were dissecting. We hypothesized that maybe he was a homeless man who wandered into the building at some point and then decided it would be cool to learn some anatomy and maybe sleep in the locker room.

One day, none of my three lab partners showed up to lab. Feeling quite abandoned, I tried to go about the lab alone, which was tricky since I never read the lab manual in advance. To my surprise, the weird old guy came over and started helping me!

I got to talking to him, and it turned out he was a retired chiropractor. He said that he always wanted to learn anatomy, so he got permission to observe our labs. He ended up being a really nice guy who helped us a lot over the course of the semester.

I guess the moral of this story is: If there’s a random guy wandering around your anatomy lab, don’t judge him too quickly. Unless he starts getting violent, then you should probably call the police.

12 comments:

  1. You are such a good writer. This was so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a random old helpful guy in my anatomy class!

    My class only had two students per cadaver (that was awesome). One day my partner was out and while closing up the table lids by myself, I felt a snap. Turns out I incompletely tore my extensor carpi ulnaris tendon and that injury took forever to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had one of those - he turned out to be the CMT who cared for the bodies in the lab. We nicknamed him "The Crypt Keeper."

    He was kind of creepy. I don't think any of us have ever seen him smile...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bro is a chiropractor who should be retired but to an anatomy class ... hmmm

    But he would keep wanting to check for subluxations.

    Best to you in paying off those medical school loans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in an area where you never know what people were in their previous lives or seemingly regular people with interesting passions. The coffee shop owner that used to be a lawyer. The doctor that retired early to develop software. The rolfer that is an EMT and travels to Africa to help build wells and villages for people in war ravaged counties on his free time. The cabinet maker that used to be a college professor. The Carmelite nun that left the nunnery after 22 years and is married now. Both the groups Nanda and the Flying Karamazov Brothers stated in my town These are just a few of the people I personally know that live in my little town. People are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The other moral is that apparently you don't need to know anatomy to be a chiropractor. So that's kinda scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ME: I want to move to your town!

    No, seriously. I'll give you 50 bucks to tell me where it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @PGYx there is a downside for many people, the weather. It is currently chunky rain coming down sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ME Had that tonight here in the NYC metro area. I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good story. I also enjoyed your writing.

    ReplyDelete