Monday, December 19, 2011

Tales from Residency: Irrelevant

In residency, we had a weekly lecture series. Sometimes the lectures were great and very useful for a future physiatrist. Other times they were totally irrelevant and a waste of our time. For example, one week where I was particularly annoyed by this was when we had a lecture on alcoholism and AA.

Not that alcoholism and substance abuse is totally irrelevant. I mean, it's something you need to know about in every field, right? But... by that logic, they could give us a lecture on any topic, like CHF, COPD, smoking, etc, and claim it's relevant because we could have a patient with that condition. Let's focus a little bit, shall we? Board exam in PM&R coming up, yes?

I fell asleep for about 15 minutes in the middle of the lecture, which was actually quite refreshing. I was struggling to stay awake and then the lecturer made a comment about how everyone was dozing off, so I figured one more wouldn't hurt.

When I woke up, the lecturer was talking about meditating on a raisin. Somehow I actually already had a lecture on how to meditate on a raisin. It involves holding the raisin in your mouth for a ridiculously long amount of time and thinking about the raisin a lot. I understand that meditating on a raisin is super-important, but I'm not sure how many times I needed to learn about it over the course of my medical training. Once more, maybe?

Question of the day, from the lecturer: What's the most difficult patient to have?

1 comment: