Monday, January 23, 2012

Tales from Intern Year: Code Creamsicle

One night on call during intern year, I purchased an orange creamsicle after eating dinner. It was a really big creamsicle and it took me forever to finish. But since I was on call, I couldn't just sit there leisurely eating my ice cream. So I finally took off with the creamsicle.

Of course, I felt mega-dumb walking through the floor holding a popsicle and I commented on as much to another resident.

"That's nothing!" she said. "I once went to a code blue holding an ice cream cone."

Apparently, she had just opened up her ice cream cone when the code sounded. She considered throwing it away, but she didn't want to waste it, so she brought it with her to the code blue. Luckily, it turned out to be an anesthesia code, so she didn't have to do anything.

5 comments:

  1. So we are getting cartoons PLUS regular posts? You are going to spoil us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chivas: Amazingly, you aren't the only one concerned about this :) I was just too lazy to move the few posts scheduled this week. Don't worry, I think there were only be double posts a couple more times this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, we'll keep out heels to the ground. Hooray for double posts! Now for some much-needed sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack, I meant "our."

    Sometimes typing on an iPad with your thumbs just sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember having a good two hours of downtime on obs-gyne and deciding that I should finally go treat myself to an ice cream cone. No one seemed to be close to delivering, so I was sure I had 10 minutes to spare. Lo and behold, the second I returned to the floor, a cannonball baby came. I stuck my ice cream cone in the med fridge, where it melted over everything because the temperature was above freezing and the patient had a 3rd degree tear.

    ReplyDelete