Saturday, March 10, 2012

Interview stories

From an interview at a residency program:

Me: "Are the residents happy here?"

Chief resident: "No, of course they're not happy. They cry every day."

Me: "They cry every day?"

Chief: "Yeah, well, that's pretty typical for residency. You just get so tired and frustrated."

Me: "So they cry out of frustration more than unhappiness?"

Chief: "Pretty much. I mean, when I did my sub-I here, the intern on my team cried on every post-call day. She was so tired."

Me: "But the call is only Q6 here... so that means she only cried every six days, right? That's not so bad."

Chief: "Yeah, but it was Q5 back then."

(I didn't end up ranking that program.)

8 comments:

  1. What the hell? I'd have run away FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was kind of right though. Even though I went to a different program, I cried a LOT postcall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm it's one thing to say they get frustrated ... but to say none of them are happy would definitely be worrying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. silverwhale: Are you watching Idol? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha yes I am! I'm not crazy about the judges on idol ... Randy is alright I guess. I definitely appreciate Ryan more after x-factor though. Who is your favourite so far?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the judges and I especially hate it when JLo says "goosies." They should make Jimmy Iovine a judge. I like Ryan though.

    I always like the rockers and the scruffy guys with guitars, so my favorites are Phillip and Colton. I want to hate Colton because he's just so emo, but I gotta say, I loved it when he got up on that piano. They're sort of like the poor man's version of Season 8's Adam and Kris.

    And of course, I think Jessica's really really talented, but she just doesn't sing the kind of music I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A resident at my program was awarded a box of Kleenex at the end-of-year banquet. Because she cried every time she got a consult to the ER (admittedly a depressing experience).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree! Jessica is awesome, but I feel like I would be more likely to buy Colton's CD - he is my favourite right now.

    ReplyDelete