Saturday, March 31, 2012

So long, you're wonderful

When I was in fellowship, we had residents rotate through our EMG lab every month. On one particular resident's last day, I noticed he was reading a handwritten note on a scrap of paper. "What's that?" I asked him.

"The EMG tech wrote it to me," he said.

The note said: You are a wonderful person. It's been a pleasure and a privilege to work with you. God bless you.

"Holy shit," I said. "That's like the nicest note I've ever seen. Why did he write that to you?"

"Because it's my last day," he said.

Let me tell you, I've had a LOT of "last days" and nobody has EVER written me a note like that. I mean, WTF?

(Although the tech did bake me a cake on my last day, which was also pretty nice. He was a good guy.)

1 comment:

  1. I made baked goods on my last day for my preceptors until I was halfway through my rotations and one of them made me cry. That bitch wasn't getting a cupcake. From then on, I decided to be a hard ass (actually, I think that rotation broke me and I just wanted out from then on).

    Now that I'm a grown up, we always get lunch for students on their last day (even if they suck). I never want forget what it was like to be there, so I feel like I should at least give them some kind of thanks.

    ReplyDelete