Friday, March 30, 2012

Weekly Whine: 10 Completely Irrelevant Pieces of Crap

A few days ago, I got an email that said the following:

Hi Fizzy,

We would love to share with you an article that we just posted on our own blog! “10 Completely Irrelevant Pieces of Crap” (link) would be an interesting story for your readers to check out and discuss on your blog, so we hope you will consider sharing it!


This pisses me off far more than emails asking me to help some rich guy in Africa transfer his money, because it's so personal. They mention my name and it seems like they didn't just write a program to create the spam. I could be wrong, but sometimes they mention very specific details about my blog in clear English that leads me to believe that a real human actually spent some time and effort composing the email.

I don't know why it irritates me so much more than other spam. Maybe it's because I feel like they're using friendliness and fake flattery to try to get me to advertise for them for free. Maybe it's because I feel like they're taking me for an idiot that I'd ever do something like that.

In any case, if you think my readers might be interested in your article "10 Completely Irrelevant Pieces of Crap", let me save you some time: they're not.

6 comments:

  1. Almost fell for that trap early on in my blog... wah wah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It irritates me too. I get a request like this every other day. I also find it annoying when a person from another country spams me about how to get into a US medical school and if I can offer them a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sent you a completely irrelevant piece of crap about completely irrelevant pieces of crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog world is an interesting place. Mine has a "spam filter". I love to read the stuff that goes there. Occasionally it will be stuff that is from folks who are from other countries, and English is NOT their native language. I'm glad they are trying, though. I usually go ahead and post those.

    I got one reply from an EMR company that I almost deleted, then decided to blast with another reply instead.

    Happy Doctor's Day, Dr. Fizzy.

    In view of the above post, I won't mention that I wrote a post about the origin of Doctor's Day, because I'm sure your reader's aren't interested. ;-)

    Congrats on a wonderful blog

    Dr. Lasermed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get that shit all the time. DELETE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's how The Bloggess handles awful PR pitches for her blog:

    http://thebloggess.com/heres-a-picture-of-wil-wheaton-collating-papers/

    ReplyDelete