Of the following things on a 20 year old patient's problem list, what do you think is the highest priority:
1) the patient suffered a vertebral fracture at C5
2) the patient is unable to move either of his arms or legs
3) the patient is intubated
4) the patient has oxygen sats going down into the 80s
5) the patient is incontinent of bowel and bladder
6) the patient MAY have ADHD
If you ask me, I think the ADHD is top priority, for sure.
And that was one of the bullshit consults I got while doing psychiatry consults as an intern.
I had a long discussion with my attending about ADHD (formerly, ADD). He thinks that it's highly overdiagnosed, which I would agree with. One thing I've been noticing recently is that a lot of adults I know are getting diagnosed with it. My attending feels that anyone who's made it through a quality college couldn't possibly have ADHD. I'm sure a lot of people would vehemently disagree with this.
Personally, I've noticed my attention span is not what it used to be. It's become very hard for me to pay attention to a lecture from beginning to end. But in my case, it's more likely due to fatigue.