Thursday, July 18, 2013

30 hours

I haven't been in the hospital for thirty hours straight in a LONG time. It's horrible, but there's also something kind of great about it. It's sort of like that joke:

Q: "Why are you hitting yourself with a hammer?"

A: "Because it feels so good when I stop."

(I actually looked up this quote so that I could get it right and I found it as a quote from Grey's Anatomy. So clearly I'm not the only one who likens being a doctor to being pummeled with a hammer.)

Anyway, things that are great about spending 30 hours in a row in the hospital:

1) Getting home

2) Turning your pager off

3) Taking that first post-call shower

4) Eating a meal that isn't from the hospital cafeteria

5) Brushing your teeth. With an actual toothbrush and not with your finger.

6) The post-call sleep

Ahh...

5 comments:

  1. It's been a reeeeaaallly long time for me since I've been in the hospital that long. And way back then it was routinely 36 hours, frequently more trying to get out post-call.

    But that moment when my head hit the pillow finally? There are few better feelings than that!

    Scariest parts? Taking off the 36-hour shoes. Not remembering driving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The not remembering driving home was truly scary. Course, one time post call I decided to rest my head for just a minute and woke up 2 hours later in the car. It had got dark, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the post call sleep is the closest thing you can get to being in a coma without actually getting whacked in the head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post-call shower is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen the post-call shower is almost magical! We have showers in our call rooms but I was never brave enough to take one. I was also afraid that they would call a code half way thru and then wonder where the ICU resident was to run the code!

    ReplyDelete